Tuesday, February 28, 2012

And then there were girl scout cookies... - week 8 results

I'm down 7.6 lbs overall... (If you have any math skills, that's a gain from last week). I did, however, lose 2 inches around my hips since 2 weeks ago. To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed in myself that after 2 months as far as I've gotten is really only losing a little bit of the weight that I gained around the holidays.

I really need to eat better because that is what I struggle with the most. A diet does not consist of girl scout cookies, portillos, and unhealthy footlongs from Subway...

At the same time, I have to rejoice in the little things and the fact that I've made some progress... I've been told I look better, and that you can see some weight loss in my face. While it's great that my face isn't super fat, I feel like my body is still pretty disgusting. But maybe I'm being too hard on myself - I don't know.

I did notice last week how my favorite yoga pants were falling off during workouts. At first, I just thought that they'd stretched out since I wore them several times in between washings. But this week, I realized that perhaps I've just lost a little bit of weight so that they no longer stay snug.

Although I've been working out religiously, I've failed quite a bit at the whole dieting thing, and that's got to be my downfall. I believe there's a pin that says weight loss is 80% nutrition and 20% fitness. So the fitness aspect isn't really enough.

I also really really really need to learn how to handle myself around free food. I've noticed that any time there is free food available, I eat whatever I want essentially. This applies to free meals at the law school, parties, my reimbursed meals in Ohio, etc. Do any of you have tips on how to avoid over-eating things that are just waiting to be eaten? I manage to do a decent job at work, trying not to go overboard eating mess-ups and the like, but I really need to do better.

Well, here's to hoping I can get my ass in gear and make some legitimate progress here.

2 comments:

  1. Kali,
    I haven't seen you recently, but a few people have asked me if I followed your blog because you were doing such a great job.

    In answer to your questions, I have a few pieces of advice from my experience. Take them for what they are worth--the story of things that worked for me.

    1. As far as running faster, the key is to just do it more often. I would set a goal for myself for the week (cut off 10 seconds) and then try to run different lengths of time at that mile pace. It worked really well, and, after 2 months of running, I cut 2 minutes off of my mile time.

    2. As far as being smart around food, the key is to ask yourself the right question. For me, I ask myself, "Do I want this? Or do I just want it because it's free?" If it's the latter, then I should just wait. Sometimes, however, you need that cookie at Peer's Pub or whatever it is, and, then, the key is moderation. You never need three cookies. You may need one, but any additional is emotional and not purely necessary.

    Hope that helps to some degree.

    Keep at it on this wonderful path you've created. People are noticing, and you should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyse,

    Thanks so much for your comment! It is very encouraging! I actually feel like I'm not doing very well at all, and I was planning on posting something soon on how I need to get my priorities in order and really commit myself to following a diet. My workout track record is WAY better than my eating one, and I should get them on the same page because that's what the whole point of this "journey" was about.

    I love your tips. I need to incorporate some more running into my life before I do my 8k in a few weeks.

    Again, thanks for taking a little time out to send some encouragement my way. It's just what I needed at this point =)

    ReplyDelete