Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Random Thoughts

So I meant to add to my last post my thoughts about how I (and probably most people) perceive weight loss. I think it's really difficult to try to lose weight because we all want results - instantly! and when it takes forever, it's hard to see that you're making progress. This blog is really helping me chart that progress and even though I'm far far far from being satisfied, I know that I have to start somewhere. If that's losing the 5 lbs I gained around Christmas time, that's the only way to start. When I ignorantly was thinking I made no progress, I was ready to overhaul my whole system. Maybe I need to eat way healthier - I'm cheating a little too much. But I'm trying to realize that is NOT the answer. If I make this impossible for myself, it's never going to work, but if I do make it a lifestyle - where I've cut out the taco bell, mcdonalds, eating bread and soup non-stop at work but where I still occasionally indulge in a dessert or some fries - I'm much more likely to get to where I want to be. The hard part about losing weight is that its a very slow process. I haven't set any monthly goals or anything like that, but it's encouraging to think that by my birthday, for instance, I could possibly be 30 lbs lighter if I keep this up. Realistically that may not happen, which is why I don't want to set hard/fast numbers that are going to discourage me if I can't meet them, but even if I don't lose that much, I'll have lost something...

Another thought is that it's really a pain in the butt to make working out a priority. Somehow during my easiest semester of my life, I'm busy as hell, and the idea of working out every day is just yuck sometimes. But I've made it a priority. I haven't skipped a single day yet (aside from the weekly rest days). I've tried to make working out a number one priority, even when I know I have reading to do for tomorrow, an assignment to work on, etc. I wouldn't not watch a show I wanted to, so why should I have any excuse for working out?

Anyway, I should probably shower...

1 comment:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree, and would like to add that once you're used to your current diet, it's a lot easier to modify from there. I didn't love whole wheat bread at first, so I started with whole wheat pasta where it was covered in sauce, among other things, and once I got used to that, WW bread didn't taste so weird. At this point, now white bread tastes like a dessert to me, because my tastes have slowly gotten used to a different style of eating.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete